Happy New Year lovies! We made it! I hope this year brings you love, peace, joy and blessings upon blessings. When trying to decide what to share with you for the new year, the first thing came to mind were BOOKS. What better way to start the year than a book list? Every year I set a goal to read more books but never planned the list ahead. I’m more geeked this year about my book list and mug addiction maybe because I get to share it with you. Have you set a reading goal for 2017? Reading is the best way to transform your mind, exercise your imagination, expand your horizon, and learn simultaneously. Often people don’t read because they think they don’t have time and social media and television have consumed us. We have to make time to enrich and feed our mind just as we feed our body. I’m not much of a fiction reader because I love learning something new, discovering ways to be a better me, and entrepreneurial books because launching my side hustle is on the horizon. Recently, I have not been hesitant about abandoning a book that isn’t serving me and I’m unapologetic about it. My time has become precious and intentional. If I’m not feelin it, I will pass it along to someone it may benefit. This year I’m adding a few fiction books to spice it up and balance my geeky side. Feel free to join me, grab your favorite mug (with hot chocolate and whipped cream of course) and a plush throw because we are about to crush these book goals.
It’s time to introduce my book list for 2017. In addition to sharing my list, I will share with you tidbits, things I’ve learned and quotes in future blog posts.
- Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action (Simon Sinek)
- Girl Code: Unlocking the Secrets to Success, Sanity, and Happiness for the Female Entrepreneur (Cara Alwill Leyba)
- 13 Things Mentally Strong People Don’t Do (Amy Morin)
- Unapologetically You (Steve Maraboli)
- The Magnolia Story (Chip & Joanna Gaines) Unlikely Martha Thoughts
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck (Mark Manson)
- Love Warrior: A Memoir (Glennon Melton)
- Present Over Perfect: Leaving Behind Frantic for Simpler, More Soulful Way of Living (Shauna Niequist)
- Launch (Jeff Walker)
- Leaders Eat Last: Why Some Teams Pull Together and Others Don’t (Simon Sinek)
- The One Thing: The Surprisingly Simple Truth Behind Extraordinary Results (Gary Heller)
- Daring Greatly (Brene Brown)
- You are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life (Jen Sincero)
If you’re wondering how I chose my books this year. I choose them based on things I want to improve in my life, what I want to learn, recommendations from friends or my favorite podcasts, or wanting to know someone’s story. I like to read about where a person has been, how they’ve overcome and achieved personal success. I am excited to add a book journal to my reading pleasure too. I love quotes and want a place to keep them to refer back to.
This month I’m going to start with Simon Sinek’s, Start with Why Book link. I chose this book because when I feel lost or at a stand still sometimes I need to go back to my WHY. Simon’s highly acclaimed TED talk (How Great Leaders Inspire Action) sparked my interest in the book as well Simon Sinek’s TED talk. This video reminds me to have a purpose for the goals I want to accomplish and if not, ask myself why am I doing it? If you know your “why” you are less likely to lose focus and more likely hit your target and sustain success. Stay tuned…let’s see what else this book has to teach a sista.
Please share what’s on your book list or what you’re currently reading using #SHEreads. I love sharing books and things I’ve learned from them and want to encourage you to share too. And we can share books and chat on Goodreads, join me! Happy reading friends!